API Plan 22 adds a strainer to Plan 21. Flow is routed from the discharge side of the pump, through a strainer, an orifice, and a cooler before being returned to the seal chamber. The addition of pressure gauges on either side of the strainer allows the strainer to be monitored for servicing. In dry climates, air-cooled tubing arrangements are preferred to reduce common issues associated with water cooled systems.
API Plan 22
Kit components shown solid and include some optional components.
- Prevents orifice clogging through the addition of a strainer
- Provides cooled flush fluid to the process side of the seal
- Removes heat and flushes particulate from the seal chamber
- Improves vapor pressure margin in the seal chamber
Plan 22 is available as a kit of components ready for field assembly. Kit contents may include:
- Swagelok tube fittings
- Flange adapters
- Pipe fittings
- V series 2-valve manifold
- 63 series ball valve
- Bimetal thermometer
- TTW series thermowell tee
- PGI series gauges
- Pressure transmitter
- Heat exchanger
- Heat exchanger stand
- Y strainer
- Pipe nipple
See page 21 of the Mechanical Seal Support Systems Application Guide for additional details and ordering information. Contact your authorized Swagelok sales and service center for information on optional components.