API Plan 12 recirculates flow from a high‐pressure section of the pump, typically the discharge piping, through a flow control orifice to the seal. In order to remove particulate in the flush stream and prevent clogging, flow passes through a strainer placed prior to the flow control orifice. The addition of pressure gauges on either side of the strainer allows the strainer to be monitored for servicing.
API Plan 12
Kit components shown solid and include some optional components.
- Prevents orifice clogging through the addition of a strainer
- Removes heat and flushes particulate from the seal chamber
- Ensures proper pressure in the seal chamber to prevent pumped fluid from vaporizing
- Allows the seal chamber to be self-venting when used with horizontal pumps
Plan 12 is available as a kit of components ready for field assembly. Kit contents may include:
- Swagelok tube fittings
- Flange adapters
- Pipe fittings
- V series 2-valve manifold
- Bimetal thermometer
- TTW series thermowell tee
- PGI series gauges
- Tubing Pressure transmitter
- Pipe nipple
- Y strainer
See page 13 of the Mechanical Seal Support Systems Application Guide for additional details and ordering information. Contact your authorized Swagelok sales and service center for information on optional components.